Sunday, June 29, 2008


We walked to the Vietnam Memorial in the rain. It stopped raining about the time we got there. A beautiful rainbow appeared in the sky, and Brighton told me that it is a sign from God to show He would not flood the entire earth again!
Brighton was really shocked at how many names were on the wall. After learning about the history of our wars, I hope he's getting a better picture of how important it is to honor the men and women who sacrificed so much so that we can be a free nation.



He knew what this monument was before we even got inside! Thank you Mrs. Walsh!


Can you tell what he's signing?


Reach out and touch the Washington Monument!


My sweet boy and I. Look how tall he's gotten!

We took the Metro into Washington DC on Monday. Riding the subway was an experience in itself. Brighton was fascinated by how fast it goes. It was raining in DC, so I was happy that I remembered to pack my umbrella. We walked to the Washington Monument, the WWII Monument, the Memorial to the Signers of the Declaration of Independence, the Reflecting Pool, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, the Dwight D. Eisenhower Office Building, and the White House. We were way too tired to walk to the capitol.

I told Brighton to go knock on George's door and ask him if we could come in for supper, but he pointed to the police and said we would get arrested! He seems to have this fear of police that I think stems from the way we were treated in the subway (long story) and in China. I walked up to an officer and asked him if he thought it would be okay if we knocked on the presidents door to see if we could eat there. He laughed and talked with us a bit. Brighton seemed more at ease around them after that. He was more impressed with the people riding around on Segways than he was seeing the White House.

When our plane was taxiing to the runway at the airport the pilot slammed on the brakes, throwing us all into the seats in front of us. Everyone was looking at each other with shocked expressions. Brighton asked me what happened. The pilot then apologized and explained that a coyote ran across the runway and everyone starting laughing!

"Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

No comments: