Testing at the National Eye Institute and the National Institute on Deafness and other Communicative Disorders at the NIH in Bethesda, Maryland
Don't worry....his eyes were numb!
Dr. Zalewski putting on the goggles

Getting ready to spin really fast!
We are finally through with all of the eye and ear testing! It took two long days. Brighton was a trooper, but was really exhausted afterwards. I learned so much while I was there. Dr. Zalewski made it a point to detail everything he was doing and explained vestibular function so well that I feel like an expert now. This was the first time I've ever been to a doctor who was nice enough to explain what he was doing and why he was doing it.
Brighton has no vestibular function. He will never be able to balance with his eyes closed. He doesn't know when he's falling. He has learned to compensate by using his vision to be able to tell when things are moving around him. The doctor said to NEVER let him swim in the ocean! he must have a life vest on ay all times in a lake. When he's in a pool he can wear goggles to help him know which way is up by opening his eyes under water. When he loses his sight, he will no longer be able to balance himself.
The interpreters we had were very kind. The couple that interpreted for Brighton during the audiology testing were amazing! I am so thankful that they were there.
Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10
Isaiah 41:10



No comments:
Post a Comment