Our little archer and his very tired daddy just arrived home this evening from Oklahoma City. Brighton was so happy to see me that he teared up and wouldn't let go of me. I wasn't sure how this was going to go, with my not being there with him out of town for so long. He's doing quite a bit better with his abandonment issues and doesn't seem to mind being separated so much from Mom and Dad anymore.
Brighton was signing a million miles a minute, telling me all about the tournament. He said that it was very windy and he was having trouble balancing. He was very frustrated that he didn't shoot well. The doctor in Bethesda said that he would have these balance issues for the rest of his life, so I wasn't surprised. He will just have to learn to live with the fact that he won't shoot well in rain or wind or any other condition that might make balancing an issue. I asked him if he had fun and he said yes. I told him "Well then, it was a great tournament! He was so excited about the gifts he received when he got there. He couldn't wait to show them all to me. What a fantastic idea! He told me that he met quite a few kids and they were all really, really nice. He even remembered the name of one of the boys and fingerspelled his name to me. He said he was really nice to him.


3 comments:
I'd like to post a comment here, as my son was on the target with Brighton and was the one who was calling the arrows! Ian, who was born with a severe unilateral cleft lip and palate and has gone through dozens of surgeries to have the issue corrected. Upon occasion his speech can be a bit diffcult to understand, but when approached and reminded, he will speak clearly! Which your husband will happily tell you is true about Ian! It was a long, hot and windy (clocked at 52 mph!) tournament and I am certain Ian was getting tired and that is when the speech gets difficult!
I noticed almost every end Ian and Brighton came walking back together and I think Brighton taught Ian some sign language. I believe a bud of friendship has begun and I want them to nurture that! Ian and I are going to learn sign, so there is a friend on the field for Brighton next year at JOAD Nationals!
God Bless you and your family!
Liz Coombe
Liz Cooombe here again!
BTW, Ian has never encountered a hearing impaired cihld before! I appologize for his quickness in calling arrows, but he is not accustomed to having to slow down for an interpreter! Next time he will know better.
Liz
Tina,
I have been reading your entire blog, even looking at Josh's and Chrly's too!
God Bless you all!
Wow!
I'd love to share a family who used to be in our JOAD club! The Rosenows-here is their web site:
www.shepherdscrookministries.com.
They are doing God's work too, You'll have to visit! You'll be amazed!
Anyway God has stilled the waters in my heart for today, and I thank Him for working His miracles everyday!
God Bless you and Dave again!!!
Liz Coombe
Post a Comment